Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Hillary Biscay's Foolproof Steps for Finding Your Way Out of a Slump:


"At a panel recently I was asked about navigating one's way out of a slump so I thought I would address that topic today. For me, a slump means being out of shape and, well, this is a particularly appropriate topic because that's where I am right now. After an 8-week racing stint and a mid-season break, my body pretty much hates me. It is not a fun place to be, but after 25 years of being a serious athlete I do know how to get out of here.

These are my foolproof steps for finding your way out of a slump:
1) Accept the reality of where you are.
Resist the urge to compare yourself to your fit self. Temporarily accept your unfit state as the new normal so that you can appreciate your progress from there.


2) Do work to be just a little bit better every day.

Once you have accepted your "new normal," keep your mind focused entirely on one simple task: getting a little bit stronger/ faster/ more fit every day.
3) Know this: there is no other way to get through it than to go through it. 
The reality is that training when you are not in great shape is often not that fun. It hurts even to go slow. Delaying the process because of dread of this feeling is only going to make it hurt more. And unfortunately there are no shortcuts, nor can this process cannot be outsourced. It simply has to be suffered through, one day and one workout at a time! But as I have tried and tested this process many times over, I can assure you that you WILL work through it and it will be worth it."


-Hillary Biscay, Ironman Champion & Ultraman World Champion

No comments:

Post a Comment